SURJ Action is hiring a full-time organizer in Ohio to build support for the Neighborhood Safety, Drug Treatment, and Rehabilitation ballot initiative. Click through to the full post to read more!
Job Description: Ohio Organizer
SURJ Action is a national network of groups and individuals organizing white people for racial justice. Through community organizing, mobilizing, and education, SURJ Action moves white people to act as part of a multi-racial majority for justice with passion and accountability. We work to connect people across the country while supporting and collaborating with local and national racial justice organizing efforts. SURJ Action provides a space to build relationships, skills and political analysis to act for change. SURJ Action has been formed to further the goal of racial justice by responding strategically in this political moment as a 501(c)(4) organization.
We ground our organizing in a framework of "mutual interest" and have an inclusive, open-hearted approach to organizing, calling people into this work rather than creating barriers to participation while maintaining a clear political line. Together, as part of a powerful multi-racial, cross-class movement for collective liberation we can force the systems of white supremacy and economic injustice to crumble.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Ohio Organizer will drive SURJ Action’s organizing as part of the coalition to pass the Neighborhood Safety, Drug Treatment, and Rehabilitation ballot initiative. They will work with SURJ Action’s local leaders across the state to help them deepen their impact, recruit and cultivate the leadership of others, and build organization in several rural counties in Ohio. This is a full-time salaried position that will run from May 1 - December 24, 2018, and will require 50% travel.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop strategy, infrastructure, and materials to support existing SURJ Action leaders in Ohio to meaningfully participate in the ballot initiative
- Design and implement an organizing strategy to collect signatures to help get the ballot initiative on the ballot, and implement a GOTV effort in three rural, majority-white counties in Ohio -- this will include setting goals, building volunteer infrastructure, and developing tracking and metrics systems
Mobilize the national SURJ Action network to support the campaign, including:
- Planning and executing four weekend mobilizations to bring SURJ Action members from other states to learn and participate in the campaign
- Mobilizing SURJ Action’s “Connectors” around GOTV efforts
- In partnership with local leaders, communicate with state and national campaign partners
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least two years experience in bottom-up grassroots organizing experience or union organizing, especially in using campaigns to build bases of directly-impacted people and cultivate their leadership
- Experience designing curriculum and facilitating meetings, trainings, and/or group gatherings that move people to action
- Experience designing and leading teams through processes of campaign or action planning, execution, and evaluation
- A natural sense of curiosity about people, ability to build meaningful relationships with others, and a belief that directly impacted people are their own experts and can be a powerful force for change
- Willingness to sit with complexity and nuance, take risks, suggest new ideas, receive feedback, and be part of the solution
- Profound love and trust of the people and communities you come from and a deep desire and longing to create avenues for individual and community transformation
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice and to working in multiracial coalitions for larger transformative change
- Belief in SURJ Action’s theory of change and deep investment in grassroots organizing as a core strategy to transform this country and world
- Lived experience in rural communities and small towns a plus
- Flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends, and travel
- A valid driver's license
- Salary is a rate of $50,000 per year for an employment contract that will run from May 1 - December 24, 2018
- $300 per month healthcare stipend
- $50 per week transportation stipend
- Vacation, sick, and personal time
- This is a remote position, but the organizer must be located in Ohio during their employment with SURJ Action
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We encourage formerly incarcerated people and people impacted by (or who have loved ones impacted by) the opioid crisis to apply. We will prioritize candidates from/in rural communities and from a low-income background and/or currently poor or working-class. We believe these lived experiences are fundamental to building the leadership of SURJ Action’s priority communities.